1 Jan 2019

Best of 2017

As I usually do, I've selected a few of my favourite photos from 2017. Again, it hasn't been the best of years, but I managed to fit in two wonderful photographic trips to Iceland, a great long weekend in Berlin and 10 relaxing days in the stunning Lake District with the hubby. The dog got ill this year, hence not having our usual  'proper' long-haul holiday, but fingers crossed he's all better now and hopefully we'll make it to Hawaii next year... We bought a car this year (an oh-so-sexy 15-year-old Vauxhall Astra!), which has meant that I've been able to spend more time visiting nearby Richmond Park, discovering my favourite trees and views.

I have had a great year for discovering and engaging with some fantastically talented photographers, mainly on Twitter, which has helped to inspire me with certain areas of my photography (eg. macro) (and I even managed to meet one of my Twitter tog friends in real life!). Thank you for all your support!

Anyway, here's to a wonderful, creative, inspiring 2018! And here's a few of my 2017 favourites, in no particular order.

My favourite photo this year - fortuitous timing by this woman wondering into my shot on Stokksnes beach, Iceland
I know he had his back to me, but I just loved this shot - and this moment - of a stag on an incredibly gorgeous morning in Richmond Park, London
Having never even heard of this place a year ago, I visited Shingle Street in early December - what a magical spot!

I finally got round to visiting Berlin - what a cool city! I particularly fell in love with this building, and loved the segway tour in this shot

Such a delicate plant - ferns look so striking in winter. Also shot in Richmond Park
I knew the Westfjords of Iceland had stunning fjords and mountains, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover stunning beaches too, like this one (Tungurif)
So many stunning sights in the Lake District on my December trip, but this brief patch of intense light at my local pier on Coniston Water was one of my favourites
I finally made it to Bruarfoss! What a stunning waterfall it is, worth the effort, although I do hope it doesn't get spoilt by too many other people finding it...
The most impressive iceberg I've ever seen in Jökulsárlón Lagoon, Iceland - the patterns were mindblowing!
A horse enjoying the afternoon sun in Ashley Green; just loved the shadows
I guess it makes sense that one of my favourite things about Iceland is the sea (given that it's a big island!) - I particularly love the amazing waves and light off the coast at Jökulsárlón beach
Seeing this (magpie inkcap) in the woods near my parents' house in Little Chalfont was definitely a highlight of my year - definitely the coolest fungus ever!
The wonderful old posts at Lakeside, Derwentwater - what a piece of luck to have such lovely mist on the one day we get around to visiting...
Put simply, I'd like to live here. Do it up, and become a reclusive photographer, living among the Icelandic elements
One of the most exciting moments of my year was finding my first ever couple of globbies! Didn't even have a concept of these guys' existence until recently, and now I will be on the hunt for more! (this one is 1-2mm long...)
One of the best things I did in 2017 was to do the MoonWalk - and the best part of it was my training walks because it meant I got to spend hours and hours with my old schoolfriend Christianne (thankyou honey!!). This is taken in the woods along the North Downs Way between Guildford & Dorking

No comments:

Post a Comment