1 Oct 2017

Iceland #13 - Day 6: Driving back to Keflavík

My introduction to the wonderful remote Westfjords was coming to an end, and today I had to drive all the way back down to the south-west, as far as Keflavík. There the next part of my adventure would begin - the weekend playing tour-guide with friends, again. In my little planning spreadsheet (I have one for every trip with all sorts of details on accommodation, things to see, prices, sunrise/sunset times and places, etc...) all I had planned for the day was "drive straight back to Keflavík without stopping!" As it was, time wouldn't be that rushed, as it's only a 350km or so drive and my friend wasn't arriving until the last plane, so I could actually get to the hotel at midnight, for all it mattered. Still quite a lot of driving though.


I did, however, have a couple of things I wanted to do along the way. One was to take the tour of the herring factory in Djúpavík, and the other was to visit a rather obscure and little-known peninsula to see some basalt columns a bit further south. The light was quite nice when I got up at around 8am so I took a couple of lazy shots from my window, before having the same Skyr and granola breakfast as the previous day (blueberry flavour this time, which I can now buy in my local Waitrose back home, so not quite as special!).


I showered, packed up my stuff (always hate that part) and then asked at reception about the tours. It was run by the hotel, so added to the bill, which made things easier. The tour started at 10am, and was being given by Sarah, the young American woman I'd chatter to the previous night. I had a little wander around the outside of the factory before meeting up with a small group for the tour.






We were led inside and Sarah locked us in, turned on the lights and then gave us a bit of historic information about the place. We wandered through each room, looking at pictures, rusting pieces of machinery, crumbling plaster, algae-covered walls and salt stalactites.








The factory had been built in 1934 to take advantage of the massive herring population and deep port there (that's what Djúpavík means), in order to produce herring oil and herring meal. The women worked outside cleaning the herrings on long conveyor belts, and the men worked inside. There are various ovens and storage containers in various stages of disrepair from the production days, which ended in 1954, when herring stocks were depleted. The factory wasn't stripped, as the owner had hoped to return when the fish did. They didn't, and he didn't, and instead it was sold to the current owners, who opened the hotel in 1985 in the old women's quarters. It was fascinating to think of all of these young Icelanders up in this remote part of the world, working in the harsh weather day in, day out.

Sarah told us that Sigur Rós had also played there, in one of the large storage rooms at the back, on the same tour as when they'd played at Selárdalur. Another epic location, which would have been incredible to experience.

The last place on the tour was the longest room I think I've ever been in - which was my favourite. I'd just missed their annual art exhibition, but a few photographs still hung on the walls of this room, and a sofa sat near one end, for people to rest and take in the art. At one end there was some graffiti in some wood - amazing to think that workers had signed their names there almost 70 years earlier. Sometimes the hotel gets elderly visitors from people who'd worked there themselves, or were the children of those who had - it had definitely been quite a place in its heyday.

That was the end of the tour, and I was briefly disappointed as we hadn't been inside the oil tank, which I'd seen pictures of, that looked extremely cool. Sarah said that we could visit that on our own, though, and showed us to the entrance. I was quite relieved!

We all looked at each other and laughed, as we realised that we had to climb through a rusty hole to get in! The others in the group all managed to climb in, and I waited until they'd gone until I attempted it, laden with my tripod and camera gear. The hole was probably about 70cm diameter, so plenty of room, but also about 50 cm long, so it was quite a feat to climb through! I poked the tripod through first and then climbed through. Once inside it was just incredible, and I was glad I had it to myself. I wandered around the outside of the outermost copper coil and stopped to take a few different shots. It was one of my favourite sights in the Westfjords - I could've spent all day there! Sarah thought that Sigur Rós had also played there, and I found evidence on YouTube - I wondered if they climbed through the hole or up the metal footholds that led to a hole in the top that provided the light...




I dragged myself away - the massive drive awaiting me - stopping to marvel at the enormous structure.

Before I left I wanted to get a photo of the lovely, soft, affectionate Freya, who made me miss my little sick Henry back at home. She wasn't really playing ball, avoiding the camera, as often dogs do! 

I got into the car, but realised that she was sitting right in front, so I had to get out to try to shoo her away. As I did so I noticed her crouch suddenly beside my passenger door, and then she suddenly darted forward and pounced as a car came past. The driver seemed a bit shocked, but I'd seen it before on my second ever trip to Iceland. Now it just seems like normal Icelandic sheepdog behaviour. I got a quick shot of Soley, who just stood around, not chasing cars.



I was sad to leave little Djúpavík - I was rather smitten with the hotel, its inhabitants and its surrounds.

iPhoneSE shot

It was already midday - so much for the plan to make a swift journey back to the airport. The weather had brightened up a little, with tiny glimpses of blue sky as I embarked on my long drive south. First stop was the beautiful mountain pass, where I stopped to capture some beautiful saxifrage (I think) flowers overlooking the Veiðileysa fjord below.


The sun came out a little later on, and I stopped to capture a few lovely things: a house that I could see myself enjoying, a pretty waterfall, some finger-like clouds.





Eventually I passed the turn-off to Drangsnes, from where I'd come, and was on a newly-surfaced road to cut across the peninsula. It was a lovely road, and soon I came out to the main road, where there were no signs or markings - no wonder I'd missed the turn-off on the way!

Next stop was to get some petrol and clean the car at Hólmavik. Again, quite an effort to scrub away at the few days of dirt. I took a couple of before and after photos on the iPhone. I had a visible number plate again!

* iPhoneSE shot

*iPhoneSE shot
Next stop was the obligatory grill bar burger for lunch - what I would have eaten had I made the detour on the way. It wasn't as good as the one at Skaftafell, but not bad.

iPhoneSE shot
I didn't drive into town as I wanted to head on, but I'm not sure there's a great deal there (apart from the Icelandic Sorcery & Witchcraft Museum, which probably would've been quite good - but I'd already done one museum that day). The road soon left the coastline and headed across a low pass, coming down the other side to views south towards the last peninsula of the Westfjords before you reach Búðardalur. The area was mostly farmland, with huge numbers of plastic-wrapped hay-bales visible everywhere I looked. Soon I came to a right-hand turn that would take me back to Patreksfjörður if I continued. Instead I drove for about 12km, weird-shaped mountains surrounding me, before I came to a left-hand turn taking me onto the Borgarland peninsula, my next destination. The road wound around through more farmland until eventually I came to the end and had to park. From there, it was a thirty or so minute walk along mainly beach to reach Bjartmarsstein, a massive volcanic plug sitting at the end of the peninsula, covered in basalt columns! I passed a couple of rather macabre fallen scarecrows - dressed in astronauts outfits and wellies, the torn material blowing around in the wind.

*iPhoneSE shot



Before reaching the main plug I passed smaller basalt column walls along the beach. The surrounding scenery was also stunning, with some rhyolitic hillsides in the distance. If only that sun would stay out! The beach was littered with seaweed, but thankfully not the nasty flies that I'd encountered the previous day.





Eventually I turned around a little headland to finally see the main attraction - Bjartmarsstein, which I'd only discovered by googling basalt columns in the area (thanks to Guide to Iceland!) and fortunately it wasn't far out of my way. The light was pretty poor, but I could still see the reddish basalt columns lining the base of the big rock, like a pleated skirt.


I hurried along the beach, only stopping to take a photo of a rather sad dead sheep (sorry!), caught in the seaweed (I hope it didn't meet its death being tangled up in it).

I spent the next half hour at the foot of the cliff, walking around the base of it, clambering over some columns as the beach disappeared on the far side. I loved the patterns and shapes, the swirling and curves, the cracks and colours, the steps and lines. Hence so many photos...













By the time I left the rock it was already 4pm - I don't really know where the day had gone! I still had to get back to the car and drive a long way.


On my way back I crossed the first beach, but then decided to try to cut off some of the other ones and head across the headlands, following sheep trails. This was going well until I suddenly found myself in a mini birch tree forest. I remembered an old Icelandic joke: "What do you do if you get lost in an Icelandic forest? Stand up!" Well, I was standing but still most definitely lost! I had to trample over the low branches, hoping to find a proper sheep trail. Instead of this, however, I realised that I was heading downhill and the trees were getting taller. At one point I fell backwards and was lying on the top of the trees, like an upturned beetle. It was quite funny, but also pretty frustrating, as I just couldn't find my way out. Eventually I did, but I must've been lost for a good 10 minutes before I reached the safety of grassland again! The rest of the journey back to the car was uneventful, but for a trio of sinister-looking sheep checking me out.





As I left a few sheep ran in front of the car - galloping along the track instead of just turning off it. The sun was coming out patchily over the surrounding landscape. I stopped a few times before re-joining the main road.




I didn't stop for a while after that, continuing on through Buðardalur, and reaching the junction with the turn-off to Stykkishólmur, which I'd driven on back in 2014 (that road is magnificent!). I carried on south and only stopped when I passed an impressive pointy mountain, just before rejoining the ring road (it's called Baula).


From there on I stopped at Borganes to use a loo, and text Mandy to see how her journey was going (she was tucking into the famed fish 'n' chips at the Perfectionist at T2 Heathrow), before continuing on down to the tunnel. The light was getting lovely, so I took a sneaky shot from the car as I headed south.

*iPhoneSE shot

I drove down and up again through the scary tunnel, past Eskja, across the endless roundabouts of Mosfellsbaer, then crossed the outskirts of Reykjavik before heading on to Keflavík. I didn't even pop into the city to visit Orr again (well, it was actually way past closing time and I'd be back again a couple of days later with the girls)! I drove on past the turn-off to the hotel at Ásbrú, as sunset was approaching and there was a chance of some colour, so I thought I'd go on to Gardur. I was extremely disappointed when I got there to find it absolutely packed, as well as having a new hotel built just along from the lighthouses. I took a shot of the end lighthouse only to be shouted at by another photographer that I was in their shot. There's no way you can expect to get no people in wide-angle long exposures in busy spots!


I hid from him behind the far lighthouse and took some shots of the sky as it turned pink - the closest I'd got to a sunset in a week. I could see the spine of the whole of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula to the north.


I decided to eat at the restaurant in Keflavík that I'd visited a few years earlier, so drove back there as the sky darkened. As I drove I suddenly noticed the incredible sight of an enormous orange moon rising above the horizon. There wasn't anywhere to stop, so I drove on and parked near the shore in the town. Unfortunately by that point the moon had risen enough to be behind some low clouds. I waited a little while until it peaked out again, only getting a portion of it. The reflections on the bay below were lovely.


I ate in Kaffe Duus, ordering a seafood salad. It was quite cheap, and the plate came piled with warm chunks of fish and prawns on a bed of salad (including tortilla chips - what's that all about?!). It tasted a bit fishy and I felt a little sick afterwards! I drove to the hotel, which is in Ásbrú - a massive area just next to the airport that used to be a US Naval air station until 2006, and which has been turned into a university campus, as well as hosting some large new hotels to cope with the increase of overnight visitors. I was staying in Bed & Breakfast Keflavik, and my room was absolutely enormous, with two single beds at either side - it was big enough for about four single beds.

Mandy arrived quite late - unfortunately the hotel's shuttle only left every 40 minutes, and Mandy's plane was late arriving, and then she just missed the 12.20am shuttle and had to wait ages for the next one, which itself left late. I could've gone to pick her up, but by the time I would have driven there and parked, it didn't seem worth it. She finally arrived, and I greeted her at reception where there was a massive queue of people checking in. We stayed up talking for a while, and enjoyed a little of the vodka she'd brought with her. We didn't get to sleep until after 3am, which wasn't ideal given that we had a big day hike ahead of us in the morning!


Click here for the blog from Day 5 - Exploring Árneshreppur
Click here for the blog from Day 7 - Hiking to Glymur

No comments:

Post a Comment